Thursday, April 06, 2006

Never Far From My Thoughts

It's been a little over 9 months since Marlon's untimely passing, and while I can get through the daily grind alright, there are certain things that just set me off sobbing. I was having a discussion this morning where I stated that generally after people pass away, people forget the bad things and only speak well of the dead- even if the person was a supreme bastard whilst alive. So I thought back and tried to look objectively and saw that Marlon's life is so genuinely celebrated because he was so genuine. This sounds odd for a brother & sister not to fight- but all while growing up we got in maybe 2 fights- both picked by me- because I had never seen Marlon's unwavering patience really break. I had never seen him get truly angry. He was just so incredibly patient and kind- to everyone. I have been thinking about Marlon a lot and have been meaning to post a new entry here. Instead, I tell anyone that will listen- including people who never knew Marlon or people who don't even know me well about how great a man he was. Every day I find something along my path that reminds me of him, so I know he'll always be a part of me. And what better of person to emulate than Marlon?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marlon died while I was in Israel, after my dad died in June of 2005. Marlon, while not a daily presence in my life, was someone I could count on, someone who I would see, who I could go to when I needed advice, or bike help, or whatever. He was important for this community and important for me, and... well, everything changes, I know, but sometimes it's really hard to deal with that change.

Be well. And thank you for this.

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking about Marlon this evening, because I was discussing Wilhelm Reich, and a memory came into my head of Marlon's deep singing voice giving his rendition of the song, "Orgone Accumulator." Later that night, I just started sobbing, thinking about him. Hardly a day goes by that I don't think about things he used to say, the way he always managed to fix things and be helpful in just the right ways. It's been two years and I still miss him so much. I wish I could have found a way to hold on to him, and keep him from going away. I wish I had found a way to be as kind to him as he always was to me. I once gave Marlon a Harry Potter "chocolate frog" card and he was so excited about it that he jumped up and down and tacked it to his wall... lately I've been thinking about a saying from a Harry Potter book -- "Do you think the dead we have loved ever truly leave us?"

Anonymous said...

I just told some parents, trick or treating at my door, about Marlon's hilarious Halloween routine: dressing up in the pink bunny suit, starting up a chainsaw, and terrifying everyone, in a completely absurd and fun way. What a guy.

Anonymous said...

i just now got my internet back, but everyday i look up at the sky and throw a big kiss to him, and i often talk to him, i wish i knew his e mail address in heaven. your loving mother

Anonymous said...

this tues would have been marlon s 35th b d, and every yr since he moved to philly, i would take him out for something to eat, i almost went to the same chinese rest. for some takeout, but i merely had a cupcake in his honor. his friend martha said she would light a candle for him. his sister, brother in law, and little ivy all went over to lemon hill, where marlon s and amy s granmom went so often as a young girl, i m sure grandmom and marlon s prensence were there today looking on, seeing how big ivy has gotten. well, happy birthday marlon. you are truly missed by all whose life you touched, love, your mom

Anonymous said...

Today i rode the bike you made again everyone tells me i am too big for my bike, but i don t listen to them cause you made it so happy birthday uncle marlon. you are funny why did the chicken cross the road? because he wanted to get run over by a car. love ivy la didi